Valentine's Day Safety

Whether you plan on spending a romantic evening with your loved one or a not-as-romantic but just-as-enjoyable evening with your friends and an extra-large pizza, make sure your pet is safe from some common Valentine’s Day Toxicities.

Flowers 
Nothing says “be mine” quite like waltzing into the room with a rose hanging out of your mouth. But most of us can’t pull this off. Not with the desired effect, that is. Instead, we opt for the mixed bouquets. These are pretty romantic as well, but some could be harmful if they contain lilies. Some varieties of lilies are extremely dangerous to cats.

While it is best to keep all flowers and plants away from your pet (many, if consumed, can lead to stomach aches), not all are bad. There are pet-friendly flowers such as dendrobium orchids, violets and gerbera daisies. Don’t those sound romantic?! 

The ASPCA has a far more comprehensive list of toxic and non-toxic plants and flowers.

Chocolate 
Depending on the type of chocolate and the size of your pet, these heart-shaped, mouth-watering sweets can be toxic to both dogs and cats. The signs your pet may have eaten chocolate are hyperactivity, diarrhea, vomiting, increased or abnormal heart rates, and sometimes even seizures. It can be lethal in some cases. Always make sure chocolate is out of your pet’s reach.  

Xylitol  
Xylitol is a sweetener that can be found in sugar-free candy, sugar-free baked goods, and sugar-free gum. What does Xylitol do? It releases insulin into a dog’s bloodstream, which then causes a drop in blood sugar. This can also be fatal. Always remember to keep food and candy containing Xylitol in areas where they can’t be reached by your dog. Signs your dog has ingested Xylitol are fatigue, vomiting, weakness, and seizures.

Alcohol  
Wine, and all alcohol, can be harmful to your pet. When consumed in large amounts, alcohol can cause a drop in blood sugar and blood temperature. This can lead to seizures and respiratory failure. Again, make sure you keep your beverages away from pets.   

If you think your pet has ingested a toxic substance, call the Pet Poison Helpline or contact your veterinarian right away.